Connect with us

India

Delhi’s Covid-19 tally reaches 2,248 with 92 new cases, death toll stands at 48

Avatar

Published

on


A phlebotomist demonstrates how swab collection is done during a drive-through Covid-19 test, at Delhi's Punjabi Bagh Central Market. | Photo: ThePrint
A phlebotomist demonstrates how swab collection is done during a drive-through Covid-19 test, at Delhi’s Punjabi Bagh Central Market. | Photo: ThePrint


Text Size:

New Delhi: With 92 more people testing corna-positive and one more dying of Covid-19 in the national capital on Wednesday, the total number of infected cases till date rose to 92 and the death toll to 48, said Delhi government authorities.

No COVID-19 fatality was recorded on Tuesday.

Of the total 48 fatalities reported till date, 25 of the deceased were aged 60 or above, accounting for over 52 per cent of the total deaths, they said.

Thirteen of them were aged between 50-59 and 10 were aged below 50 years, officials said.

By Tuesday night, the number of cases of infection with the deadly virus in the city stood at 2,156 including 47 deaths.

With one more death, the death toll from COVID-19 in Delhi has risen to 48.

As many as 724 patients have recovered and the number of active cases are now 1,476, according to the Delhi health department’s latest bulletin issued Wednesday.

The number of containment zones in Delhi rose to 89 on Wednesday, with two new hostspot zones being added in various areas during the day, said authorities.

The West Delhi district has maximum containment zones in the city.

Daily house-to-house surveillance and sanitisation of areas under containment is being done regularly in these zones.

A population of approximately 3,23,000 people is covered under various containment zones, said officials.


Also read: How a 55-year-old Delhi woman infected 31 people with coronavirus before her death


Sample collection and testing is also under process. A total of 55,619 samples have been collected from different containment zones till date, Delhi health department said.

Also, of the total 2,248 cases, the health department also shared their age profile.

Of these total cases, 1,464 are aged less than 50 years; 359 aged 50-59 and rest 425 aged 60 and above.

According to the Delhi Health Department, out of the total 2,248 cases recorded so far, at least 527 are admitted at various hospitals like LNJP Hospital, GTB Hospital, RML Hospital, Safdarjung Hospital and Rajiv Gandhi Super Speciality Hospital (RGSSH) and AIIMS Jhajjhar, adding 24 of them are in ICU and six on ventilators.

Total number of COVID-19 samples sent till date stands at 28,309 the Delhi Health Department said in the statement.

As many as 34,795 people who came in contact with affected persons, are under home quarantine till date and 22,948 have completed their 14-day quarantine, they said.

An order has been issued, to all medical superintendents, medical directors of all Delhi government hospitals to make sufficient arrangements for disinfection of hearse vans and ambulances used for transfer of COVID patients, officials said.

First meeting of empowered group constituted under the Disaster Management Act, 2005 for planning and ensuring implementation of the COVID-19 response activities related to medical emergency management plan, availability of hospitals, isolation facilities, testing facilities, essential medical equipments and logistics and augmenting human resource and capacity building, has been convened, the statement said.

Uber Taxi has offered services of 200 taxis in shift of 12 hours, free of cost to Delhi government till May 3 to help manage COVID-19, it said.

An order has also been issued to use these vehicles to carry non-COVID, non-critical patients to and from hospitals in coordination with CATS Ambulance services, the statement said.

Besides, orders have been issued for linkage of hospitals with COVID testing centres, it said.


Also read: Over 1,000 foreign workers, including Indians, test positive for Covid-19 in Singapore


 

ThePrint is now on Telegram. For the best reports & opinion on politics, governance and more, subscribe to ThePrint on Telegram.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel.



India

Andhra doctor, suspended for alleging PPE shortage, now beaten by cops for ‘creating nuisance’

Avatar

Published

on


doctor with a stethoscope
A doctor with a stethoscope (Representative image) | Pixabay


Text Size:

Bengaluru: A doctor with a government hospital in Andhra Pradesh, who was suspended for questioning the shortage of PPE kits, was admitted to a mental health facility Sunday, a day after he was allegedly manhandled by the police and arrested for creating nuisance in Visakhapatnam.

Dr Sudhakar Rao, a government civil surgeon, was beaten, his hands tied behind his back and dragged by police officers Sunday. During the incident, Sudhakar allegedly verbally abused the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in an inebriated state. Videos of the incident have since been widely shared online.

“The police control room received a call about a person creating nuisance on Beach Road Hospital in Visakhapatnam. The Fourth Town police was rushed there and found that the person was the suspended doctor, Sudhakar.

“When the police tried to control him, he snatched the mobile phone of an officer and threw it away. He is suffering from mental disorder and he was drunk. He was sent for a medical examination,” Vishakapatnam Police Commissioner R.K. Meena told the media Sunday.

Sudhakar was admitted to a mental hospital Sunday after doctors at the King George Hospital in Vishakapatnam said he suffered from anxiety.

“Since the doctor is in anxiety and talking irrelevant things, I have referred him to a mental care hospital in Visakhapatnam,” said Dr Radha Rani, medical superintendent, King George Hospital.

A statement released by the hospital said: “Dr Sudhakar was brought to the KGH casualty ward at 6.30 pm. From the smell, it was found that he was in a drunk condition. Under the influence of alcohol, he did not cooperate with anybody there and kept abusing all. Still, his pulse, BP were checked. Pulse was 98, BP 140/100. Blood samples were sent to forensic lab to ascertain alcohol content in his blood.”


Also read: 6 toilets for 20 houses, inadequate testing: Why Mumbai’s Worli chawls are a Covid hotspot


‘Treatment towards Sudhakar was inhuman’

Sudhakar, who spent more than 10 years at the Narsipatnam Government Hospital in Andhra Pradesh, was suspended from his duties in March after he openly criticised the Reddy government for failing to provide PPE kits and N95 masks to doctors treating Covid-19 patients.

He had alleged that the state government was giving N95 masks and PPE kits meant for doctors to politicians and the police.

A video of Sudhakar criticising the government was also shared widely. In the clip, he can be heard saying: “We are putting our lives at risk here. We are asked to use the same mask for 15 days and a fresh mask will be provided only twice a month.”

Speaking to ThePrint, Dr P. Gangadhar Rao, member of the National COVID Committee of the Indian Medical Association, said the manner in which Sudhakar was manhandled by the police was “inhuman” and “violated” human rights.

“We strongly condemn the way he was taken into custody. He was not carrying a weapon, he was alone, the number of policemen outnumbered him. Why treat him like that? We also saw a video where a policeman beats him with a lathi,” said Dr Gangadhar.

He added that Rao was one of the most experienced anaesthetists the Andhra Pradesh government had.

“Our next step of action is to get Sudhakar to write an unconditional apology for having used filthy language, abusing the chief minister and the government. We will then take our appeal to the CM seeking that he be reinstated,” Gangadhar said.


Also read: Face shields, gowns, masks — the new attire for cabin crew post lockdown


 

ThePrint is now on Telegram. For the best reports & opinion on politics, governance and more, subscribe to ThePrint on Telegram.

Subscribe to our YouTube channel.



Continue Reading

Trending