Connect with us

International

New mugshot of Derek Chauvin after George Floyd murder conviction

Avatar

Published

on

New mugshot of Derek Chauvin after George Floyd murder conviction
P

olice released a new mugshot of Derek Chauvin after he was found guilty of the murder of George Floyd and booked into the Oak Park Heights maximum security prison.

Chauvin is being held at the maximum security prison whilst he awaits sentencing facing a maximum of 40 years for the charges in Minnesota.

Although he had the option to tell the jury his side of the story, Chauvin declined to testify, after invoking the 5th Amendment in court in Minneapolis.

Floyd’s family welcomes guilty verdicts

The 46-year-old’s grieving family called the landmark verdict a “turning point in history” and received a call from Mr Biden, who promised to tackle racism across the US.

Biden spoke Tuesday from the White House hours after the verdict alongside Vice President Kamala Harris, with the pair saying the country’s work is far from finished with the verdict.

“We can’t stop here,” Biden declared.

Biden and Harris called on Congress to act swiftly to address policing reform, including by approving a bill named for Floyd, who died with his neck under Chauvin’s knee last May. Beyond that, the president said, the entire country must confront hatred to “change hearts and minds as well as laws and policies.”

“‘I can’t breathe.’ Those were George Floyd’s last words,” Biden said. “We can’t let those words die with him. We have to keep hearing those words. We must not turn away. We can’t turn away.”

Harris, the first Black woman to serve as vice president, said racism was keeping the country from fulfilling its founding promise of “liberty and justice for all.”

“It is not just a Black America problem or a people of colour problem. It is a problem for every American,” she said. “It is holding our nation back from reaching our full potential.”

“A measure of justice isn’t the same as equal justice,” she said.

Earlier Tuesday, Biden broke his administration’s silence on the trial, which has set the nation on edge for weeks, saying he was praying for “the right verdict.”

Speaking from the Oval Office while the jury was deliberating in Minneapolis, Biden said, “I’m praying the verdict is the right verdict. I think it’s overwhelming, in my view. I wouldn’t say that unless the jury was sequestered now.”

International

20 dead in Gaza as Israel responds to Hamas rocket hearth

Avatar

Published

on

20 dead in Gaza as Israel responds to Hamas rocket fire
T

wenty people today such as nine youngsters have been killed in the Gaza Strip amid clashes with Israel, in accordance to Palestinian wellness officers.

The demise toll designed it a single of the bloodiest days of combating in several several years. It came following Hamas militants fired dozens of rockets into Israel, together with a barrage that set off air raid sirens as considerably absent as Jerusalem.

The Wellness Ministry did not present a breakdown on the result in of the fatalities, but at minimum 7 associates of 1 household, which include 3 youngsters, had been killed in an explosion in northern Gaza.

The Israeli armed service reported it struck a variety of Hamas targets in reaction to ongoing rocket fireplace out of Gaza, claiming 8 militants were struck.

The barrage commenced after hundreds of Palestinians have been injured in clashes with Israeli law enforcement at a flashpoint spiritual web site in Jerusalem.

Rockets fly previously mentioned the town

/ AFP via Getty Images

The early night attack on the disputed holy town escalated now heightened tensions all over the region following months of confrontations amongst Israeli police and Palestinian protesters that have threatened to turn out to be a wider conflict.

Israeli primary minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned of an open-finished procedure against Gaza’s Hamas militant rulers, accusing them of crossing a “red line” with the latest rocket hearth, and promising a tricky response.

“Whoever assaults us will fork out a weighty cost,” he reported, warning that the battling could “continue for a while”.

The Israeli military services claimed additional than 50 rockets have been fired into Israel all over the night, most of them aimed at southern Israeli towns in the vicinity of the border.

Hamas has claimed duty for the attack following 300 Palestinians were being wounded following violence exterior the Al-Aqsa mosque

/ AFP through Getty Pictures

Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus reported 6 rockets were aimed at Jerusalem, 60 miles away.

It was thought to be the first rocket assault on the city due to the fact a 2014 war.

Shortly just after the sirens sounded, explosions could be read in Jerusalem.

A single rocket fell on the western outskirts of the metropolis, lightly harmful a property and leading to a brush fireplace.

Continue Reading

Trending