Connect with us

International

Probe launched into Minneapolis police after Chauvin verdict

Avatar

Published

on

New mugshot of Derek Chauvin after George Floyd murder conviction

The investigation aims to identify any patterns of unlawful policing, officials said.

Chauvin faces up to 40 years in prison after what was the first conviction of a white police officer over the death of a black suspect in the state of Minnesota’s history.

The probe will look into the use of force by police officers, including during the widespread Black Lives Matter protests after the murder, and whether Minneapolis police engage in discriminatory practices.

“Yesterday’s verdict in the state criminal trial does not address potentially systemic policing issues in Minneapolis,” US attorney general Merrick Garland said.

“The justice department has opened a civil investigation to determine whether the Minneapolis police department has engaged in a pattern and practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing.

“The challenges we face are deeply woven into our history. They did not arise today, or last year; building trust between community and law enforcement will take time and effort by all of us,” Garland said at Justice Department headquarters.

“But we undertake this task with determination and urgency, knowing that change cannot wait.”

This booking photo provided by the Minnesota Department of Corrections shows Derek Chauvin

/ Minnesota Department of Corrections via AP

The new investigation is known as a “pattern or practice” — examining whether there is a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing — and will be a more sweeping review of the entire police department. It may result in major changes to policing in the Minnesota city.

It will also look into the department’s handling of misconduct allegations and its treatment of people with behavioural health issues and will assess the department’s current systems of accountability, Garland said.

The Minneapolis police said in a statement that chief Medaria Arradondo “welcomes this investigation” and will fully co-operate with federal prosecutors. 

Law officials showed bodycam footage at a news conference of an officer shooting the girl in Columbus after she appears to charge with a knife at two people outside a house in a residential street.

On-lookers in the video can be heard shouting “she’s just a kid,” before moving away to give police room to check the teenager’s wounds.

Police fatally shoot black teenage girl in Ohio as Floyd verdict announced

Mr Floyd’s grieving family called the landmark verdict a “turning point in history” and received a call from Mr Biden, who promised to tackle racism across the US.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson and former US President Barack Obama were among the world leaders who welcomed the jury’s verdict.

Mr Floyd was being arrested on May 25 last year on suspicion of using a counterfeit $20 note at a grocery store when he was pinned down by police with Chauvin’s knee on his neck for nine minutes and 29 seconds.

Harrowing video footage captured the killing, as Mr Floyd called out “I can’t breathe” 27 times and Chauvin refused to relent to allow medical assistance.

Chauvin, sacked as a police officer following the death of Mr Floyd, was handcuffed and remanded in custody immediately after being found guilty of murder.

He faces up to 40 years in prison at sentencing in eight weeks’ time.

State prosecutors are expected to argue for significantly more than the 12-and-a-half year benchmark for second-degree murder in Minnesota guidelines.

Chauvin, currently being held at maximum-security Oak Park Heights prison 25 miles outside Minneapolis.

He is also expected to appeal his convictions, arguing his trial was unfair due to the timing and location, as well as media coverage.

He is also likely to argue jurors were tainted by a $27 million (£19 million) payout to Mr Floyd’s family, controversially announced just before the trial began.

International

Israeli navy threatens to invade Gaza amid fears of ‘all-out war’

Avatar

Published

on

Israeli military threatens to invade Gaza amid fears of ‘all-out war’
T

he Israeli military services has threatened to invade Gaza amid warnings that its bombing of the territory was already major to war.

The UN’s special envoy to the Middle East peace approach has referred to as for a ceasefire, stating “leaders on all sides have to take the responsibility of de-escalation.”

Hamas was noted to have asked for a ceasefire but ongoing to fireplace rockets into Israel just after times on unrest that has ongoing to intensify.

Israeli key minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned: “Those who assault us have signed their dying warrants.”

The US sent an envoy to Israel to seek out a reduction in violence.

President Joe Biden, talking immediately after a telephone get in touch with with Mr Netanyahu, mentioned: “Israel has a right to protect itself in opposition to hundreds of rockets traveling into their territory.

He additional: “My hope is that we’ll see this coming to a summary sooner alternatively than later.”

Israeli jets demolished a sequence of high-increase condominium blocks with airstrikes in Gaza even though the Israeli forces sent tanks and troops to the border.

Ongoing strikes on both of those sides brought the death toll in Gaza to 53, which include 14 young children.

Israel showed no indicator of complying with calls for a ceasefire. Its army spokesmen explained they had been making ready for all eventualities.

This involved an incursion into the Gaza strip, it was claimed.

The Israel Defence Forces stated their “marching orders” were being to intensify functions.

Hamas carried out three assaults on Tuesday night, attempting to overwhelm the Israeli Iron Dome defence technique. Two volleys of hundreds of rockets were being aimed at Tel Aviv.

At minimum 100 of the much more than 1,000 rockets fired from Gaza have received via, some hitting cars and trucks and properties.

A soldier was killed when his automobile was struck by an anti-tank missile fired from Gaza.

Israel has responded in force. On Tuesday, the Hanadi Tower, the best building in the Gaza strip, was razed.

Continue Reading

Trending